What is a House and Land Package?
House and land packages are a convenient and cost-effective way to build a new home and they have been around for a long time. However, many people don’t understand how they work or the advantages they can provide. Don’t worry – you’re not alone!
To make things simple, we have included some answers below to the most frequently asked questions about house and land packages and if there is something we have missed, get in touch with our experts today.
1. What is a house and land package?
A house and land package is when you buy a block of land, choose a house design for that block and then build the new home. There may be a choice of lots and different home designs to suit the lots, or the developer/builder may simply package together a block of land with a particular house design with minimal variations permitted. In a house and land package the two are always bundled and sold together.
2. Are all house and land packages the same?
No. There is no ‘standard’ inclusion for a house and land package in Perth and they may vary between each builder or developer. Some packages may be tailored towards first home builders where as other packages might have a higher specification and more inclusions (and a more expensive price tag).
Be sure to check exactly what is or isn’t included with the purchase price such as fencing, landscaping, floor coverings, window treatments, painting and appliances. You don’t want to be caught short so make sure you know what you are getting for your money.
3. Where can you buy a house and land package?
House and land packages are usually offered by developers or builders in new land estates or subdivisions. If you have a preferred location in mind, you can start by visiting the estate website or browse the website of different developers or your preferred home builder to see what packages they have on offer.
Bottega I Display home
4. Does Dale Alcock Homes offer house and land packages?
Yes. You might be surprised to learn Dale Alcock Homes offer house and land packages but we are more than just a home builder. We have partnered with some of Perth’s leading developers and local real estate agents and secured the best blocks throughout the Perth metro area and the south-west of WA so we can offer convenient house and land packages to suit all budgets. We always have a number of packages listed on our website at any given time and if you can’t find a package to suit your needs, simply contact our team and we can even tailor a package that is just right for you.
5. Do you apply for a standard home loan if you are buying a house and land package?
No. A different type of loan is available if you buy a house and land package, rather than an existing or newly constructed home.
Finance for a house and land package includes two stages – first is a regular mortgage for the purchase of the land and then a construction loan for the house. However, usually the two are bundled together.
This means if you purchase a house and land package, you pay for the land upfront but you pay for the house as it reaches various milestones throughout the construction process. This ensures you are only paying interest on the full amount once the house is complete and it eases the financial burden if you are already paying a mortgage or rent while your new home is being built.
Some people make the mistake of thinking if they buy a house and land package they simply put down a deposit and the rest is payable on completion. This is not the case – this applies to ‘off the plan’ sales only. If you purchase a house and land package you will pay for the land upfront and the house in increments as you reach various construction milestones.
6. Are house and land packages eligible for government grants?
Yes. If you buy a house and land package in Perth you may still be eligible for the First Home Owners Grant and other government assistance. You can check out the WA State Government or Keystart websites for details.
7. What are the benefits of a house and land package?
- You can usually customise a house and land package to build the exact house you want in your chosen location or else the builder/developer has already chosen the best design to maximise the potential of the block.
- You can work to your own budget so you can easily plan your finances plus loan options are available so you don’t need to pay the full amount upfront before your house is built.
- If you choose your builder wisely, you will receive a quality home which should only require minimal repairs and maintenance for the foreseeable future. Plus for added peace of mind, Dale Alcock Homes offer a 25 year structural warranty plus a 12 month service warranty for every new home including house and land packages.
- Owner occupiers are still eligible for government grants and if you are an investor you can potentially claim full depreciation on your new home and your tenants will love living in a brand new house. In addition, your new build can include environmentally friendly materials and features to keep your household running costs down, which is beneficial for both owners and tenants.
- House and land packages are a simple and affordable option for any new home buyer. If you want to build a new home but want someone else to do all the legwork for you – house and land packages are the way to go!
We understand that building your dream home is a unique, personal experience so our team of experts can work with you to tailor a house and land package which suits your individual lifestyle and budget.