Essex Street's big reveal
The moment has arrived when we reveal the final stages of Essex Street’s amazing transformation, from the fabulous finishing touches inside, to the leafy-green landscaping outside.
With the first stages of construction complete, it was time for the final trades to swing into action. As they looked after a myriad of tasks, including installing the cabinets, painting the walls, fitting out the wardrobes, hanging the doors and polishing the timber floors, the pride and excitement were palpable. Essex Street was nearing the end of its amazing transformation.
At the hands of our renovation experts, what had once been a small and seriously dated two-bedroom, one-bathroom property had become a glorious four-bedroom family home where the old meets the new in perfect harmony.
While it’s true that character homes usually demand a little extra TLC when it comes to styling, our interior design team demonstrated they know how to blend the classic with the contemporary. The result? Fresh, light-filled rooms that feel comfortable and welcoming, and a modern-day kitchen and living area that feels as if it’s always belonged. We’ve successfully reinstated the classic character in the original section of the house, but made sure it can gently give way to the new, more modern space at the back.
Here are a few of our favourite finishing touches:
- Features made new again: Essex Street’s charm and character has been brought back to life, with existing features restored or replicated to highlight the home’s fine sense of history. The existing fireplace in the front lounge was renovated, becoming the starting point for this room’s cosy, snug feeling. In the library, we re-used the original French doors. Features such as ceiling roses, classic cornices and deep skirting boards were selected to add to the home’s 1930s detailing. The crowning glory, however, is arguably the beautiful timber floor. Much of the original floor had been covered by old carpet, but the wide timber boards were sanded back and polished to reveal their true beauty, while matching timber flooring was sourced for the extension to help create a seamless flow from front to back.
- New kitchen: Fresh white cabinets with a simple Shaker-style profile help blend the classic with the contemporary. Stone benchtops set off the look.
- Master bedroom: A soft shimmery wallpaper was chosen for the feature wall. A perfect blend of classic and contemporary, it captures the elegant opulence the interior designer pictured for the main bedroom and that sense of calm we often associate with older-style homes. Pendant lights lead the way into the new fully fitted walk-in wardrobe and ensuite.
- Library: The new floor-to-ceiling bookcase incorporates a comfy built-in space. It’s a great spot to curl up with a favourite book.
- Kids’ bedrooms: Fun murals are a striking and cost-effective alternative to wallpaper.
- Landscaping: A mix of poured limestone, pavers and a path with recycled brick edging sets off Essex’s Street’s smart red brick façade. In the sunken section of the back garden, a fire pit is a practical feature for cooler evenings under the stars. To help create the look and feel of an established garden, the new planting includes magnolia little gem, screening trees and hardy, drought-tolerant Sir Walter buffalo lawn. The planter box features a Chinese elm that will fan out to create a shady canopy. Garden lighting brings everything together.
As we look back through the Essex Street photo album at all the incredible before and after pictures, we can take immense pride and satisfaction in another job well done. This beloved character home can now be enjoyed for many generations to come.
If you have a renovation challenge for our team, we’d love to hear from you. Call us today on 6555 7558.